When I was pregnant I knew I wanted to breastfeed. I was unsure whether I would be successful, worried. I didn't know at first it would be almost 24/7. That came as a surprise. But I was successful, I've owned it actually. I also knew that I didn't want to be shy about it. That there wasn't anything to be shy about. Of course I did feel timid. I had to reassess my own identification with my breasts. I could feel people look at me, and I would worry, and wonder, and even though I didn't want to be, I was apologetic for what I knew I didn't have to be. I don't feel that way anymore at all. I kicked that feeling in the butt; by nursing my baby, wherever, whenever she needed. Everyone has seen my boobs. I'm pretty happy that they're doing their job. This last year has been wonderful and fulfilling.
Lately I've been getting comments along the lines of "so just how long are you going to breastfeed?" from several people. Some I know closely, and some that I don't, and should mind their business. I get it. I have reached my socially acceptable/doctor recommended limit of breastfeeding; 1 year. So when am I going to stop? When Olive or I are done. When we've had enough. When or if it doesn't work anymore. When I want to. When she wants to. Pretty much fuck you, and don't ever ask me that again.
lol to the last part
ReplyDeleteI'm pretty serious about it. I sometimes just can't believe people.
ReplyDeleteYesss!!!!
ReplyDeleteI just found your blog through twwly's :) My MIL has been asking me since Sloan was born practically how long I plan to breastfeed...and still continues to ask despite the fact that I have been telling her the same thing for the last 13 months! Maybe I'll have to use your line!