There are many hard-line vegans, who I respect greatly, that think that we
have no right to use animals in any way. Their bodies do not belong to us,
their eggs don't belong to us, their babies don't belong to us, and their milk
doesn't either. I agree. However I do think that there is a symbiotic
relationship that can exist between animals and humans. I think that
relationship can even include eating their flesh. http://twwly.com/ and http://www.soulemama.com/
are two families that I think do it all very well, and very honestly. They
clearly LOVE their animals. I think their animals live good lives. I can be on
board with that kind of farming. But lets be real honest with ourselves here:
NONE OF US ARE EATING DAIRY AND MEAT THAT IS FARMED THAT WAY.
"Free range organic!" you say?
Dont kid yourself. Lets take chickens for example all that free range means
is that they arent in a cage, they are not however "free" to
roam anywhere. They live in a giant warehouse packed with thousands of
other birds. Their beak tips are still removed. Free range is a joke.
"We're meant to eat meat though!"
Actually there is a lot of evidence that suggests that's not a complete
truth. We certainly have evolved to tolerate it, however our digestive tract is
much longer than that of a carnivore. (I am not denying that we are omnivorous
here, just to be clear) And more importantly I think this argument is
ridiculous because even if meat is a part of our ancestral diet, we dont HAVE
to eat it anymore. You are not living in a small tribe, hunting buffalo,
travelling across the plains. You live in a house with electricity, and are
probably reading this on your Ipad. You get your food from a store. And that
store sells plenty of things, that are meat and dairy free, that will keep you
alive and healthy all the days of your life. Its just a silly excuse when you
way that against suffering.
In the world that we live in it is just not possible to feed everyone meat
and dairy in a way that doesn't sacrifice the dignity and well-being of the
animals involved. As far as I can see the ONLY acceptable way to eat meat and
dairy is if those animals are in your own yard. If you clean their shit, birth
their babies, slop their feed, clean up their blood when its all said and done.
If you know, and love them enough to be covered in all of that day to day to
day. In all other scenarios the animals inevitably end up suffering greatly.
I cannot say anything that wont be said better by a vegan before me. So I
suggest watching this video:
I think if you choose to pass over this because you dont wanna see it you are a coward.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Anonymous comments irk me. If you would like to comment but dont have a blogger ID/google+ then simply go in the drop-down menu and select the NAME/URL option. (you dont have to add a url if you dont want to, but a name is appreciated)