Monday, April 22, 2013

Going Vegan

I have split up this entry into 3 and will post it through-out the week. Here is the first part:

So I switched to Vegan around the end of January. I think it felt kind of sudden for everyone who knew me, but honestly it didnt feel that way for me.

I have always identified myself with vegetarianism. I fist gave up meet when I was 15. I think I ate grilled cheese for years. I didnt know anything about feeding myself, but it was a learning process, and a great reason to push forward. Learn to love veggies, and that I did. I think everyone has heard me rant about how annoying I find people who say they dont like vegetables without even trying them! Blah! I have had on and off bouts though. Most recently I started eating meat again after Olive was born. I cant really remember why though. I think I was just struggling with being a new mom, and figuring out our values as a family, and I prioritized being vegetarian a little less at the time. And frankly its always easier to eat meat than to not. Its just there and people will happily make it for you, and it does taste good. I had no energy to stand my ground, so I put it on the back shelf. But honestly even the past three years, in my head I AM a vegetarian.

Why did I feel that I was one even when I was eating meat? 
Well, I think once you know how animals are farmed and treated, how they live their lives (crowded, sickly, tortured), and how they die (terrified) you dont ever really get away from that knowledge. I can ignore it, and shove it down, but it always ripples back up inside me. And I always KNOW that eating meat, the way that we do, is WRONG. There is no argument around it in my opinion. 


2 comments:

  1. http://sweetroots.blogspot.com/2012/06/vegan-quesadillas-homemade-coconut-milk.html

    I saw this and thought of you! Looks delish.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments irk me. If you would like to comment but dont have a blogger ID/google+ then simply go in the drop-down menu and select the NAME/URL option. (you dont have to add a url if you dont want to, but a name is appreciated)