I think Emy being one calls for a little list of her accomplishments and abilities so far this winter. Just in case you've been wondering to yourself what that bean's been up to.
She does a lot of travelling. Playing in one room with some toys, then I'll see a spark in her eye and she'll do a running-crawl over to the diaper basket. It has a lid on it and is a little bit above her reach, but just close enough that she can stretch her arms underneath and pull out diapers one by one, littering my kitchen. Then I catch another spark, and she's wiggling quickly over to the bathroom where she likes to sit in the potty. She doesn't use it, she just like to sit IN it. Maybe then she'll call for me, maybe not... definitely she'll be crawling over to something else interesting in a minute or two.
She talks so much babble and says "uh-oh!" when all else fails her.
Points at herself in the mirror.
She is standing, but not walking yet.
Some other stories about some key developmental moments indicating her awareness of the things around her, and the people in her life, and her awareness of our awareness. She's started to play the old game of peek-a-boo with us. She'll cover her face, and then giggle and squeak until she can register that we're in the game too, then she pulls off her veil to reveal a knowing grin, and we all go "peek-a-booooooo! uh-oooooooh!"
On Friday in the kitchen she was reaching up to my counter trying to grab at a pencil I had there, and I mindlessly handed it to her. Then she looked at me, and grunted. I could tell she wasn't quite satisfied, so I looked more carefully at want she was trying to grab at and realised that she didnt just want the pencil she wanted the notepad it was sitting on too. So I put it on the floor and she immediately put pencil to paper (she was unsuccessful at actually getting the pencil to draw anything). I was so amazed. That she had seen me writing and remembered that and then wanted to mimic me so long after the fact. So cool. Babies are not dumb. Even though you cant gather what they are thinking about. They most certainly are thinking, all the time.
I want to rub my face on her soft baby hair.
ReplyDelete