Friday, August 26, 2011

Baby Hearts

At an appointment with my doctor this Tuesday it took over half an hour to find the baby's heartbeat with a Doppler. Instead of really worrying me, I felt like rolling my eyes at the whole situation.

A month ago when I went we tried with the Doppler, and my doctor said 'Dont worry if we cant hear it, its normal that it wont be easy to find before 12 weeks' and when we couldn't find it there was no fuss. But THIS time, just 4 weeks later, she was having trouble locating it, and reassured me 'dont worry its normal for it to be hard to find at 16 weeks'. After a couple of minutes I said 'oh well do we have to hear it this time?' and she said 'Oh yes, we HAVE to know the baby's heart is beating, otherwise I'll need to send you in for an ultrasound tomorrow'.

It really bothered me. They push into your belly pretty hard with the Doppler, its no massage, and because it was hard to locate she also had to use her fingers (internally) to push my uterus foreward. I dont like being touched these days, I dont even like shaking peoples hands. Finally another doctor came, and the little thump thump thump was found.

I dont really get why they MUST look for the heartbeat at any stage where its still hard to find. Yes, I want my baby to be alive, and its nice to hear, but if it wasn't beating there's is nothing that could be done, so why set us all up for worry?
I knew my baby was alive, I didn't need them to prove it to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments irk me. If you would like to comment but dont have a blogger ID/google+ then simply go in the drop-down menu and select the NAME/URL option. (you dont have to add a url if you dont want to, but a name is appreciated)