Sunday, January 9, 2011

...So Don't Waste Your Money.

Number {1} of my goals for this year is to reduce our plastic waste more significantly.To be honest I am feeling discouraged already. I feel like I have voiced my opinion here, on this topic, pretty clearly, but I think I am not being heard. I am serious about it, and if it takes an unveiling of my stubborn side then naked I will be.

I knew the holidays, and birthdays orbiting them would be hard for me. I have really made a big(ger) change in how I see my own consumption this year. What once took an effort to control, spending, buying, wanting, is now indifference. I know what I don't need, and what I do, I know how to get it without sacrificing my ideals. But Christmas is a time of giving. Giving us what we dont need and dont want. I am left feeling ungrateful, which truly I am. Especially when I know that birthdays can be a lot more than presents. There can be simple traditions like a hair cut, or a special breakfast. Christmas, or more importantly the Solstice, can be about spending the day outside, a ritual walk, learning about the earth and how it moves, a feast, family. Do not get me wrong. When I am opening a gift I sit with a huge grin, excited "You got something for ME!" I think. But the moment fades, and I look around sitting in a pile of singly used wrapping paper, trying to figure out just what I am going to do with another bottle of moisturizer. Especially since I decided 8 months ago that I wasn't going to buy any more personal-care products in plastic bottles. I would use up what I have and then learn to make my own. I still have not gone through it all!
Like I said I knew it would be hard. I made a point to mention nicely beforehand that I would prefer if you let the family know we don't really want any presents in plastic. I knew there would be confusion, I knew some people wouldn't get it, don't understand. I'm not surprised when someone says "oh but its organic-eco-friendly plastic" (there's no such thing, in case I have to say. Again; There is no such thing as enviromentally friendly plastic). But I thought at least someone would hear me.
My mother sat beside me as I opened a gift for Olive: " I know you don't like plastic, but...". I thought inside "well if you know, then why did you get this for her?" IF YOU HEAR ME COULD YOU PLEASE JUST LISTEN?

Its over and done with and I have a couple of plans for what comes next:
1. I am going to be collecting our plastic waste and joining in Beth Terry's Show Your Plastic challenge. I feel like I have reached a plateau. Where I have eliminated what's easy enough, and now I need it in my face to find inspiration in what to do next.

2. The biggest leeway I give is to my mother. Almost because I feel sorry for her inability to comprehend the problem. She is after all one of those who does not believe in climate change. She also buys us a lot of things. Things we need yes, and things we could use, but she just loves to find it in plastic, wrap it in a baggy, and then bring it over in some Walmart bags (because they still dont charge a 5 cent fee). I am putting my foot down here, excepting my responsibility in the matter as I enjoy free shit, but will be saying no whenever she offers to buy a toy, some shampoo, groceries, dirt etc, etc, etc.  ETC. (You really might not understand how much crap she likes to buy us). We'll both, my mum and I, really just have to learn to love eachothers with company, quarrels, and power walking from now on.

3. Lastly, next year, I am just going to have to say "If you buy Olive a plastic toy, it will be off to the thrift in a week, so don't waste your money" and maybe then the point will be made.
Maybe then we will see a glimpse of plastic-freedom. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments irk me. If you would like to comment but dont have a blogger ID/google+ then simply go in the drop-down menu and select the NAME/URL option. (you dont have to add a url if you dont want to, but a name is appreciated)