Monday, December 6, 2010

Yule

I celebrate christmas out of tradition. It is what it is, what we all grew up with here. Wonderful and fun. I love it. Mostly though I love the season, and coincidentally or not it falls at the perfect time of year, the moment after a long stretch of darkness; I am waiting for the solstice. For light in minutes of minutes per day. Just as I count into it, I will count out. 15 days.

I'm confused about how to celebrate. I feel saturated with christmas traditions. CHRISTMAS, which in one way I love, but at the same time christmas feels phony to me. As I am not celebrating the birth of christ, and although we give, I think that presents aren't the prize. I feel slightly insulted by the idea of taking christian holidays such as christmas and easter, and secularizing them, as if I, not believing in god, all of a sudden don't have my own things to celebrate. We have to steal a holiday, REALLY? This makes me sad. Without the Christ aspect, isn't it just presents? When you are weighed with the materialism of this season, it can be a strain. I think it is for a lot of people. For those with an eye in god, there is something else to celebrate, but for those of us without...? I've struggled with this idea for a while. What am I celebrating? What can I call it? Christmas is wrong, and Holiday is politically correct. Barf.
I feel free of objects, and free of god, and since I've been able to just enjoy what there is; a time of year. The effect of the sun on a planet which spins on an axis. I can celebrate that. A Winter Solstice. Oh my. A hippie at heart.
I wait for the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments irk me. If you would like to comment but dont have a blogger ID/google+ then simply go in the drop-down menu and select the NAME/URL option. (you dont have to add a url if you dont want to, but a name is appreciated)