Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Where We're at With Poos and Pees

When I started Elimination Communication with Olive a couple of months ago I was a little overwhelmed with the idea, so I made a very small and simple goal; bring Olive to the toilet when we wake in the morning, and when she gets up from a nap. Its gone great, better than I expected really, so I've set some new goals.
I'd say we were catching at least 1 pee a day, and her poos in the mornings, if she had one. I didn't really know where to go from there. I've read from other ECing bloggers about finding their intuition for when their little one had to go. Checking for noises and funny faces. I haven't really been able to find mine. I just don't know when she has to go, maybe I started too late, or I'm not paying enough attention, I've recently read that babies before 3 or 4 months give more obvious clues to their elimination but after that, if no one has noticed yet, they tend to stop signaling and just go inconspicuously. Maybe I need to give it more time. Regardless of my lack in 'the feeling' I came up with my own new plan to step up our potty learning; taking her to the toilet with me. I figure she's going to need to go at least as many times as I do in a day, probably more considering her liquid diet. Annnnnd, this has worked! We're catching about 3 pees a day. I am still having trouble with her rogue daytime pooing though.
Last week when Amy and I went to the library I checked for any good potty training books, but unfortunately couldn't find any of the ones I was looking for so I took out the only one that looked decent; Early Start Potty Training by Linda Sonna, figuring maybe I could gather some ideas. It focuses on potty training at all ages but puts a BIG emphasis on staring as soon as possible. I was surprised, I didn't think I would find an EC book in our library. The only thing I don't like about this book is that she suggests putting your baby onto a drinking/feeding schedule, if you cannot figure out when they are going, to regulate their eliminating. I'm of the school of thought that kids know when they are thirsty and hungry, and that their daily needs fluctuate, so schedules are not my style, I feed Olive when she's hungry.That's my priority.
When I read any parenting books I get very very crazy about that one subject the whole time I read it. When I read The No-Cry Sleep Solution all I could think about was naps, routines, and bedtime. Then I calm down right after. To deal with that I'm giving myself the week to obsess, digest new skills, and see what we can accomplish. Yesterday I started taking notes on when Olive nurses, has a wet diaper, pees in the potty etc. I always underestimate how far a little note taking can get me! Already I've noticed that Olive pees about every hour, which gives me a frame to work around.
It may seem like a lot of thought and time is going into this. It is. Really really its work. But I see the pay off. I really don't want to be fighting with a 3 year old about shit, literally. Olive is at a perfect age where I have patience for her mistakes because I don't expect results overnight and I haven't been washing soiled diapers for years, and she is receptive to learning anything, heck, she started waving goodbye this week! So its work yes, but its work now, or work later. Why not now?

5 comments:

  1. You really must beware those rogue daytime poohs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WRONG, she waved goodbye to Katie and Adriana two weeks ago when they left! I was surprised but figured she'd already been doing it!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments irk me. If you would like to comment but dont have a blogger ID/google+ then simply go in the drop-down menu and select the NAME/URL option. (you dont have to add a url if you dont want to, but a name is appreciated)