Sunday, August 8, 2010

a Bedtime


I've been reading The No-Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley. I have to say that Olive is a great sleeper. I cannot remember a time when she did not "sleep through the night". There have been nights here and there, but I can say she's consistent in her sleep from 10 at night until 7 30 in the morning. Its one of the wonders of co-sleeping. We both feel secure with where she is so there's never any worry, and we sleep. And sleep, and nurse, and sleep, and nurse in our sleep.
We do however have problems when I am not there. She is used to sleeping WITH mummy, and associate falling asleep with suckling. So if she has to nap or go to bed when being babysat it usually involves screaming, and terror. This is not at all what I want for Olive. Now that she is getting older I'm seeing the signs that she needs a little push into learning how to soothe herself to sleep. So I am working on a bedtime, and consistent naps, and a routine to help her recognize when its time to start winding down. Most of us adults have trouble with this wind down part of the day. Part of parenting is teaching them about sleeping too, and being a good example, so I am trying to sleep more consistently as well.

Her bedtime is about 8 and mine is 11 or 12. :)

EDIT:
I completely forgot to mention what the book is about up there. As she mentions in the book there are pretty much 2 schools of thought when it comes to babies and sleeping. One very prevailing method is called the "Cry It Out". This usually means you put your baby to bed, shut the lights, and expect them to learn that its bed time and fall asleep. They cry. They cry a lot, and then they give up. The other way is "Live With It".  Which means you stay with them until they are asleep. Babies wake up often, so it can mean that you are up with them a lot, which can and is frustrating.
I really do not believe in letting Olive cry herself to sleep. It is cruel. And I think it leaves babies feeling abandoned. I don't think sleep should be found after giving up. As a parent its my job to soothe Olive, and teach her, so I do. That is why we have a bedtime ritual. That is why I nurse her. That is why we sleep together.
What the book refers to is ways you can teach your baby to fall asleep and stay asleep without letting them "Cry It Out".
Olive and I already have a kind of ritual, but I am very bad with routine, and planning, so its a good reminder for me of the importance of those things for a baby to recognize sleep. That's what I am working on as I said before.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm ok. I worry about this myself. So the idea is that if the baby has a comforting ritual before, say, a nap, he will be able to go to sleep without mommy? Like what kind of rituals? Maybe I should read this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sort of, its not a promise. Its more like if they have signs they can recognize before a nap they will be more likely to learn to fall asleep on their own, but not necessarily without you. Except with time..

    I think you should read it. I think its better to do so preemptively to have the ideas in your head for when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments irk me. If you would like to comment but dont have a blogger ID/google+ then simply go in the drop-down menu and select the NAME/URL option. (you dont have to add a url if you dont want to, but a name is appreciated)