That's one nap with Nathan, and another one on me. She's good at that. <3
Tuesday, May 4, 2010
Our Day in Pictures
This afternoon was spent in the yard. Trying to heal our very neglected compost bins, planning vegetable pot locations, raking, splintering, laundry hanging, and admiring last years christmas tree.
Olive's becoming quite good at entertaining herself while I work. She wriggles a lot. Slowly taking herself away from where ever I put her, but no crawling yet, or even rolling. She sways back and forth, and is figuring it out. I feel like she will roll, sit and crawl all in one week when she finally does, she's so close to everything. Plus! Teeth, and hunger, insatiable hunger. She watches us eat. With a little "o" mouth. Thinking so hard about what we are doing. Its a little early but I am very much thinking about preparing her some single grain mush to learn how to eat. I bought myself a little recipe book called " Easy Gourmet Baby Food" by Jordan Wagman, and I will be starting with basic Quinoa. Just want to get myself a food processor first, to make things a little easier on myself. I plan to make all her food. At least for the time being. There is no rush, and its really so so simple. She is still so young, but all these things are coming all at once, so fast. Its an adventure for sure!

Back to the yard. I kind of love compost. Its a home for our garden creatures, good for our plants, and yard, solves a large part of our waste problem, and is basically a backyard science experiment. I've had bins even when I lived on the 3rd floor (something my neighbour was not so happy about). Now we have a backyard and the compost has a purpose, but unfortunately its been really neglected. They were already installed in the yard last October when we moved in. We used them, but not during the winter. I was a little too pregnant for the maintenance, until now. And I didn't think it'd be as bad as it is. Apparently the tenants before us didn't know that plastic is very much not compostable. I've found at least 3 plastic bags in there. There's also a lot of large wood pieces, which are of course biodegradable, but not convenient in a small scale compost bin because they take a VERY long time to be broken down by the critters. I've given everything a good turning, and we'll just keep adding our kitchen waste, but I don't think we'll actually be harvesting any good compost this year for the garden. And the plastic makes me feel very icky about using any of it with my veggie gardening. The best thing about composting: no matter how hard you try, you cant screw it up. You'll always end up with compost eventually!
That's one nap with Nathan, and another one on me. She's good at that. <3
That's one nap with Nathan, and another one on me. She's good at that. <3
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
LOL at the plastic bag issue!
ReplyDelete